Tuesday, December 13, 2011

DESIDERATA


I have always enjoyed poetry. There is a lot of great philosophy expressed in poems. The poem below has important words for everyone. It's remarkable how much it has to say directly to those of us who are struggling with our bisexuality. I hope you enjoy reading it. I hope you take it to heart. You'll be a better man in doing so.

Jack Scott

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, 


and remember what peace there may be in silence. 


As far as possible without surrender, 


be on good terms with all persons. 


Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even to the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. 


Avoid loud and aggressive persons; they are vexations to the spirit. 


If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain or bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. 


Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. 


Keep interested in your own career, however humble; 


it is a real possession in the changing forlunes of time. 


Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. 


But let not this blind you to what virlue there is; 


many persons strive for high ideals, and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself. 


Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; 


for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment, it is as perennial as the grass. 


Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurlure strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misforlune. 


The Angel of Peace
But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings; 


many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. 


Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. 


You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. 


And whether or not it is clear to you, 


no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. 


Therefore, be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be. And whatever your labors or aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul. 


With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. 


Be cheerful. 


Strive to be happy. 

M. Ehnnann 1927


5 comments:

  1. I have always love "Desiderata" ever since I discovered it over 45 years ago. Have had a copy of it since then and read it when I feel down. Thanks for sharing it Jack.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have always loved this one too! thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me too, I've always found meaning in this. As a parting message, I had this read at both my parent's funerals.

    I wonder if anyone remembers Les Crane? Back in the 60s and 70s he was on radio, and he also had a talk show on TV. [He was also devilishly handsome, which is what attracted me to him in the first place.] He did a narration of this piece with background music, and it made the top 40 list. It might be available on YouTube, or somewhere on line, if anyone wants to hear it.

    ReplyDelete

  4. The Les Crane version of Desiderata meant so much to me as a child at 10, wondering where I fit in and knowing I was different.

    These two lines especially impacted me at that age:

    "You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here."

    "And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."


    But I did not heed the warnings it had until much later in life:
    "But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings;
    many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.
    Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself."


    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yNJaKF9sXA

    ReplyDelete

I deeply regret that I must reinstate the verification process for those who want to leave comments on my blog. This is due to the intolerable amount of spam that spammers are attempting to leave on the blog.

At the same time I am changing settings so that those of you who have a Google Blogger ID or other recognized blogger ID will not have to have your comments moderated. My hope is this will encourage more readers to take the time to comment. The fact is I want to read comments with those of you who disagree with me as well as those of you who agree with me. All I ask is that you keep your comments clean and non-threatening.

The only reason I take the time to write this blog is to spur your thoughts and comments. Please do not let the spammers cause you not to comment. I know entering the verification words and numbers is a pain in the ass, but I hope you will not let the spammers cause you not to comment.

I still very much look forward to hearing from you.

Jack Scott

Anyone can comment on what I write in this blog. Regretfully, the recent amount of spam in my email account as required that I reinstate the word verification process for comments which I personally hate.

But at the same time I have loosened the comment moderation process so that those of you who have a Google Blogger ID or other recognized blogger ID will no longer need to wait for your comment to be moderated. I'm hoping this will tempt you to take the trouble to comment.

The truth is I want respectful comments both from those who agree with me and those who do not. All I as is that you keep comments to the point, clean and non-threatenting.

I look forward to hearing from each of you.

Jack Scott