Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Tony and Jason Wed

From time to time I repost blog pieces here in my blog from other blogs of note such as the Huffington Post or from non-professional blogs much like my own.

As those of you who are regular readers know, last summer my wife and I attended a wedding in Europe. It was a great occasion and we enjoyed it very much. The Groom had been a very good friend of mine for several years. The other Groom, we had never met, but much as I suspected would be the case, he quickly came to be a friend too.

You see, this European wedding was my wife and my first gay wedding. Though gay weddings are a relatively new type of ceremony, I thought it appropriate that this particular wedding took place in one of the old grand estate homes that dot the European landscape. The home was beautiful, filled with period furniture and decor. The grounds were marvelous consisting of informal flower gardens, formal lawns and areas wooded by centuries old trees all overlooking the sea. It seemed a fitting juxtaposition of a symbol of an old bygone era and of a new era of growing social support for same sex marriage.

But what most impressed me was the friends and family that attended the ceremony on behalf of both men. These two men, were surrounded by friends and family that were all straight and most of them were married. It was as if it were a normal wedding in all regards. There was wine, food, flowers, laughter, tears and celebration for the better part of two days. It all seemed so normal.

I couldn't help but think how impertinent (as well as utterly false) it is that so called Christians contend they reject marriage between couples of the same sex because it does harm to traditional marriage between a man and a woman. I know  not one of the many married couples at this particular ceremony felt that way. I might point out that many of them were Catholic in this historically Catholic country. My wife and I are active in our Protestant church as well, and we felt honored to be at this ceremony in which the love of two people was formally recognized by the state.

The following video was posted recently in the Huffington Post. The video speaks for itself very well. Rather than a country venue, this couple chose the epicenter of urbanity, The Plaza Hotel  at 59 Street and 5th Avenue in Manhattan. Other than that, everything is much the same as the wedding of our gay friends in Europe. What is portrayed will hopefully soon just be thought of as nothing more than just another wedding between two people very much in love. I for one think God will be pleased with the coming of that day. I know it will be a good day for all the people of the world.


I hope you enjoyed this video. If you have not yet had the privilege of attending such an event, I hope that changes soon.

Jack Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment

I deeply regret that I must reinstate the verification process for those who want to leave comments on my blog. This is due to the intolerable amount of spam that spammers are attempting to leave on the blog.

At the same time I am changing settings so that those of you who have a Google Blogger ID or other recognized blogger ID will not have to have your comments moderated. My hope is this will encourage more readers to take the time to comment. The fact is I want to read comments with those of you who disagree with me as well as those of you who agree with me. All I ask is that you keep your comments clean and non-threatening.

The only reason I take the time to write this blog is to spur your thoughts and comments. Please do not let the spammers cause you not to comment. I know entering the verification words and numbers is a pain in the ass, but I hope you will not let the spammers cause you not to comment.

I still very much look forward to hearing from you.

Jack Scott

Anyone can comment on what I write in this blog. Regretfully, the recent amount of spam in my email account as required that I reinstate the word verification process for comments which I personally hate.

But at the same time I have loosened the comment moderation process so that those of you who have a Google Blogger ID or other recognized blogger ID will no longer need to wait for your comment to be moderated. I'm hoping this will tempt you to take the trouble to comment.

The truth is I want respectful comments both from those who agree with me and those who do not. All I as is that you keep comments to the point, clean and non-threatenting.

I look forward to hearing from each of you.

Jack Scott